- Roger – 4 term Scouts. Ace pilot. Wears goggles on his head, even if he doesn’t need ’em. Owner of the Type S Scout ship – “Rambler.”
- “Lucky” – real name Fred – multiple maimings and injuries during 4 terms in the Scouts, thus the nickname. Electronics wizard.
- Barney – 4 term Scouts. Expert ships engineer and Jack-of-all-Trades.
- Fardt (NPC) – A Gluck from planet Mylor, Fardt tried to pick Rogers pocket in the Happy Gluck Tavern. The crew later hired him on as cook on their ship. A well-meaning rogue, trying to make ends meet in a tough universe.
- the Robot (NPC) – no name thus far. Found on unknown planet in the Void, left behind 450 years previous by unknown explorers. The Robot’s full abilities are unknown, but seems to be a general purpose exploratory/survey assistant.
- Zal Twist – exo-archaeologist from the university on planet Zapata, researching the mythical Precursor civilization thought to have existed millennia before current interstellar society.
- Croyd – Captain of an amoral crew of almost-pirates.
- Tommy the Gimp – Croyd’s gunner
- Glych – serpentoid rifleman and hired muscle
- Iron Balls McGinty – former belter working for Croyd until something better comes along. Currently signed on with the Rambler, his associates having been thwarted.